GSoC Update - After 40 days.
I like calling it Amarok - Nepomuk. It sounds neat.
It has been 40 days since I first started work on my GSoC project - Semantic Collection for Amarok. The progress? A picture is worth a thousand words -
( If you find the image too small to digest, use this link )
If you can’t make out anything from the pic, notice the “Nepomuk Collection” under “Local Collection”, in the left pane. It has tracks listed under it too. And that is what I have been trying to achieve these 40 days.
The major milestones and features until now are :
- The Nepomuk Plugin can now be found in the settings of Amarok under “Plugins”. Use the checkbox to enable Nepomuk Collection. Yes, it is that simple.
- Once the Nepomuk Collection plugin is enabled, the Collection browser shows the Nepomuk Collection.
- The Nepomuk Collection also lists all the tracks scanned from your Nepomuk index. So, the results you obtain when you can apply the ‘audio’ filter in dolphin while searching, all of them will now be available in Amarok
- You can use the tracks from the Nepomuk Collection as you do in a normal Collection, you can double click on them to start playing, add them to playlist etc. You can search for tracks on Genre, Artist etc.
- It doesn’t scan the whole of your computer hard drive, just the folders that you have checked Amarok to scan. This can be modified in the Settings window of Amarok.
The Nepomuk Collection is still minimal in functionality. But you could give it a spin using my repo here. Be warned it is still in a very immature stage and will be unstable, though it hasn’t crashed for me yet. But if you like Amarok, Nepomuk and adventures and have some spare time to compile code. Give it a try. Good karma is assured from my side.
What I’ll do next :
- Fine tune the collection, the score of each track is not being set currently.
- If labels differ in their capitalization, they are considered different. Should fix this.
- Optimize queries. They currently take a lot of time, which make Amarok take quite some time to boot up, depending on the amount of music tracks you have on your computer.
Please do drop in a comment if you would like to be alpha testers for this plugin. I will help you with installation.